For me, this recipe screams Fall! Thanksgiving! Family time! One of my aunts makes a variation of this salad for family get togethers. This is a copycat version of her recipe.
The original recipe calls for regular feta cheese, if you prefer.
My family uses Black Duck Wild Rice, from Peterborough, Ontario. This rice is roasted with maple wood and makes your entire home smell absolutely amazing!
Beet and Wild Rice Salad
- Wild rice
- Dill (fresh), chopped
- Goat feta cheese, crumbled
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Cook beets and wile rice at the same time. Boil the beets until cooked through, and cook wild rice according to directions (I made about 12 beets + 1 cup of wild rice).
- Rub beets with a paper towel to remove the skin (and wear rubber gloves so you don’t dye your hands). Seriously, this works really well and there is less waste than if you try to peel with a pairing knife.
- Slice beets into bite-sized pieces and add to wild rice.
- Add dill and goat feta cheese, then stir.
- Mix the vinaigrette (2 parts olive oil, 2 parts balsamic vinegar, 1 part maple syrup).
- Pour vinaigrette over salad.
- Enjoy warm or chill in the fridge and serve later!