Before you say “EW! No way!” and pass by this recipe. Give it a chance!
“When it comes to calories and protein, beef heart is about equal to white-meat chicken.” — SFGate Healthy Eating
Yes, I grew up eating offal meats. Yes, the texture is a bit different from what you’re used to.
It is lean meat. It is cost effective. And it is delicious! Just ask Scotty – I convinced him to give this a try a few months ago and he happily eats roasted beef heart any time I make it. WIN!
Beef Heart Roast with Pepper and Garlic
- Beef heart
- Lots of garlic, minced
- Black pepper
- Green peppercorns, ground
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare/trim the beef heart (or ask your local butcher to help you out).
- Coat roast with garlic, both types of ground peppercorns, and sea salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes – roast and garlic should be nicely browned.
- Turn oven down to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Continue to bake until cooked through and tender (this took about 75 minutes for this particular roast).
- Let the roast rest for about 10-15 minutes. Slice and serve!
Why not try this roast topped with bacon jam?