Around this time last year, I was in the midst of booking my first ever trip to Las Vegas. I keep debating whether I want to share any of our stories because it was so long ago. But I don’t want to forget the fun times we had, so I’m going to try to document the highlights.
Being such a popular tourist destination, I had many recommendations about the best deals on places to stay, eat, party, gamble… And while this advice was great, I tried politely thank them for the advice and explain that there was a good chance I wouldn’t get to any of the more traditional Vegas experiences. But if I’m not there for Vegas… then why in the world was I going???
I was there for Red Rock Canyon – just outside of town. I was there for the hiking, the scrambles, the views, and, most importantly, the rock climbing!
Day 1 we travelled. 5 of us made our way to the airport, sang the Monorail song from The Simpsons (on while taking the airport train/monorail/transport), and then went through the motions of travel. Not too exciting, except for the random break into song!
We spent a week in Vegas, and there are tons of pictures and stories to share… and some I won’t. Because that’s the fun of travelling to Vegas, am I right?
A few weeks ago I introduced our new kitten, Furry. Now, it’s Loki’s turn!
Loki found me. I had recently moved to yet another student-house and missed having a pet terribly (So it was not difficult for her to persuade me to let her stay).
When Loki first wandered into our home, she was a skinny and scruffy looking cat. And she was sick. Ear mites. Worms. Malnourished (and missing most of her hair).
Most cats I had met previously, especially strays, were shy. So I was surprised when the scrappy neighbourhood stray came right up to my roommate and me, allowed us to pet her, and happily ate the half a can of tuna we offered. We played with her for a bit, put the cat outside, and closed the door. And she meowed pitifully! At that moment, I knew she was here to stay.
A few weeks later, Loki (named for her curiosity and habit of getting into mischief) was a looking much healthier after a trip to the vet and lots of food. We soon found out there were kittens on the way (five tiny kittens to be exact). What an experience! Not only did I have to learn how to care for a cat, but I also got a crash course in raising kittens. The kittens have long since grown and found good homes.
Loki is now a happy, healthy, and well-loved cat. She has moved with me numerous times, spent a few weeks living with Nana, and recently acquired a new sister, Furry. She has many good stories — like the time we found her on the roof, falling into the laundry hamper, trying to catch a bat, stealing food, and more!
- Favourite foods: tuna or sardines, garlic sauce, green apples
- Least favourite foods: lemon, lime, sauerkraut
- Favourite toys: Feather boa, jumping spider
- Likes: Snuggling, greeting visitors at the front door, drinking water from the tap
- Dislikes: The vacuum, bath time (but she’ll reluctantly put up with it), when I go away without her
- Favourite spot: The solarium, where she can “hunt” for squirrels and bunnies on the other side of the glass
Abi from Travel Tea Tv kindly nominated my blog for a Liebster Award. Thanks Abi! Even though I’ve only been blogging a few months and I really feel like there’s not much content (YET), I’m glad to hear that you like what you’ve read so far! 🙂
HOW IT WORKS:
- You’re nominated by another blogger, who has been nominated themselves.
- The nominator comes up with 11 questions, which as a nominee you are expected to answer.
- You must then come up with 11 questions of your own, and put them to your nominees, and if they choose to accept, they continue the trail by answering your questions, selecting blogs they like to nominate and then giving them 11 questions.
- Where are you from?
- Where would you recommend to others to visit that’s local to you?
Grand River Rocks climbing gym, St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Huron Natural Area.
- How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Crazy cat lady 🙂
- Best place you’ve ever been? (City, Country, Museum, Supermarket… Anything.)
Red Rock Canyon, Nevada
- Worst place you’ve ever been? (Same rules as above)
I’m an optimist and like to make the best of things.
- Favourite shoes to travel in?
My Arc’teryx approach shoes!
- Greatest character you’ve ever met whilst travelling?
I’ve met a lot of random people. But I think the coincidence of meeting people from home while abroad is always fun.
- What movie can you watch again and again?
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
- Favourite hot beverage?
Currently, cinnamon rooibos tea
- What’s your go to dish? Either you’d make / order in a restaurant?
Make at home: Spaghetti and meat/tomato sauce
Eating out: French fries
- Finally, if you could live in any era, what would it be?
Present! I love the freedom I have to live my life exactly as it is.
- Social Hermit Expat
- There and Back Again: A Human’s Tale
- I really (and I mean REALLY) hate hats!
- Sophie’s Foodie Files
- Adventures in Cat Fostering
- A Roaming Appetite
- Is There A Word for That
- Redrock Outdoors Life
- Pig Tails and Puppy Dog Tails
- Amy’s Food Adventures
- Why did you start blogging?
- What inspires you to keep writing?
- Which of your blog posts are you most proud of?
- What is your biggest personal goal for 2016?
- What was the most awesome thing to happen in your life in 2015?
- Where is your favorite vacation spot?
- Where do you plan to travel to next, and why?
- What is the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
- What is your favourite snack food?
- What is your favourite YouTube video of the moment?
- What are your thoughts on the new Star Wars movie?